I want to share a basic Hungarian dish with you. I never realised it is anything special until I started cooking for an English guy. 🙂 It’s not scrambled eggs really, it is called rántotta and made with fried onions. That’s what makes a rántotta, fried onions and scrambled eggs. The rest depends on your imagination and your fridge. 😉 Here is the recipe for our version that makes a filling dinner with mushroom and chorizzo (or Hungarian kolbász).
Rántotta (Scrambled Eggs)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 20g chorizzo, chopped or sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 50-80g mushroom, chopped or sliced
- 2 or 3 eggs per person, beaten
- salt, pepper to taste (if I use chorizzo I omit these as the chorizzo will provide flavour)
Preparation: chopping onion, chorizzo, mushroom and beating eggs – 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Fry the onion and green pepper in the oil until soft.
- Add the chorizzo and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato and mushroom and cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid evaporated.
- Stir in the eggs and cook stirring constantly. Don’t let it cook too much because it goes dry. It is perfect when it’s just about runny.
For extra flavour grate a little cheese on top while it is still warm so the cheese will melt onto it. Eat on it’s own or with a slice of toast.