Very tasty variation on haggis.
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 454 g traditional haggis, skinned and roughly diced
- 100 ml milk
- a nob of butter
- 1 tbsp mustard
- grated cheese
Preparation: 5 minutes to dice and chop
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes on the hob and 35-40 minutes in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan until tender.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion and carrot in the oil until softened.
- Add the haggis and heat together, stirring, until the haggis breaks up.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash with the milk and butter. Season and stir in the mustard.
- Spoon the haggis mix into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and grated cheese, then bake for about 35-40 minutes, until the cheese is melted and turned orange-brown.
Tip: Add a layer of mashed parsnip or swede between the haggis and the mashed potatoes for an extra Scottish flavour.
Original recipe is in Sainsbury’s Magazine.