Mackerel hotpots are perfect for a busy workday because the preparation takes about 15-20 minutes and the cooking time in the oven is only 5 minutes, hence this is a super quick delicious meal, full of healthy ingredients. To make it even healthier you can substitute the soft cheese with a little milk (I personally use Hemp milk).
- 1tbs oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 350 g Smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- lemon juice, a dash or two
- 4 tbs low-fat soft cheese/cream cheese
- 25 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 25 g half-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt, pepper
Preparation: 5 minutes to chop the vegetables and prepare the fish.
Cooking time: 15 minutes on the hob and 5 minutes in the oven.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, celery and courgette until softened (approx. 5 minutes). Stir in the mackerel and tomatoes and cook together for another 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the soft cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well then fold into the smoked mackerel.
- Preheat the grill to a medium setting.
- Divide the mixture between four 10 cm ramekins. (Don’t worry if you don’t have
ramekins, you can use an oven proof dish.) Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and spread over the mackerel mixture.
- Grill for about 5 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve on it’s own or with a slice of toast.
This recipe is based on the WeightWatchers cook book although they specify less cooking time. I prefer my vegetables well cooked but if you like them crunchy then follow the recipe in the book.
Please let me know what did you think of this recipe.