Haddock, despite of being my favourite fish, is rarely on our table as I haven’t come across with many recipes using it. The following dish is from a Waitrose recipe card, and in addition to its heavenly taste it uses coconut milk, which is a common leftover at ours.
Keralan Fish Curry
- 370 g haddock fillets, skinned
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger, shredded
- 100 g mangetout, halved lengthways
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- brown rice, to serve
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Sprinkle the fish with the turmeric and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion with the mustard seeds for 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste and ginger and bring to a simmer.
- Add the fish and mangetout, cover the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Scatter with salad onion and chillies and serve with brown rice.