This basic fish pie is quite often on our table. Fish is good (tasty as well as healthy) and this one has 3 different types to enjoy. As the cherry on the top the whole creamy fish is hidden by mashed potatoes and cheese. Who wouldn’t love that? 🙂
for the mash:
- 1kg potatoes
- knob of butter
- splash of milk
for the sauce:
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 400 ml milk
- 1 pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock)
- 1 tsp mustard
- a small bunch chives, finely snipped
- handful frozen sweetcorn and peas
- cheese, grated
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- To make the mash boil the potatoes in a saucepan and, when cooked, drain and mash with some milk and butter. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, in another pan heat the butter and cook with the flour and spring onions, stirring regularly, for a couple of minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk using a balloon whisk. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in some cheese, fish, mustard, chives, sweetcorn and peas.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, add the mashed potato on top and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Pop in the oven for 20 – 25 mins or until golden.
Original recipe is from http://bbcgoodfood.com.