- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut on long diagonals
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 kg pork leg or shoulder in one piece, skinned
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 250 ml dry sherry
- 4 tbsp Chinese Hoisin sauce
- a handful of frozen peas
- juice of 2 limes
- salt, pepper
- boiled rice, to serve
Preparation: 10 minutes dicing and slicing
Cooking time: 5-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high
- Heat the oil in the slow cooker on the hob.
- Add the carrots, garlic, onions and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the pork.
- Meanwhile mix together the soy sauce, sherry and Hoisin sauce, then pour over the pork.
- Season and cook for 5-6 hours on low setting or 3-4 hours on high.
Note: for increased taste and tenderness spoon the juices over the meat every 30 minutes or so.
- 1 hour from the end of cooking, add the frozen peas and lime juice. Turn up to high setting and continue cooking for the last hour.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the pot and leave to rest for 5 minutes, then slice. Serve spooning over a little of the sauce, with plain boiled rice on the side.
Based on a recipe found in Phil Vickery’s Saute Slow Cooker cook book.