We have had a bit too much pasta and rice lately so I dug up this old and tested recipe that marries pulses with chicken.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 chicken thighs (I prefer skin- and boneless)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g red lentils
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- green vegetables, to serve
Preparation: 5 minutes to slice and chop the ingredients
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions and chicken thighs for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, turn the thighs and brown for another 3 minutes or until the meat is golden on all sides.
- Add the lentils and stock and stir well. Simmer over high heat for 30 mins or until the lentil is tender and absorbed most of the stock.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, lemon zest and juice, mustard, parsley and seasoning.
- Serve with green vegetables.
I like red lentils because they are quick to cook but if you want to try it with green, black, brown or any other type just increase the cooking time to make sure they are tender.