- 4 rashes of streaky smoked bacon, chopped
- 750 g stewing steak, diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 baby onions or shallots, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 225 g mushroom, quartered
- 400 ml beef stock
- 300 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- mashed potatoes, green beans or braised cabbage, to serve
Preparation: 25 minutes chopping and to fry the onion and brown the meat
Cooking time: 5-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high
- In a frying pan fry the bacon until slightly crispy, then place in the slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and brown the beef, then add to the slow cooker.
- Lightly colour the onions and carrots in the frying pan then add to the slow cooker. Note: instead of a frying pan I just use the slow cooker on the hob. Saves on washing up. 🙂
- Toss in the flour and add the mushrooms to the slow cooker.
- Mix together the beef stock, red wine, tomato puree, garlic, thyme and bay leaves and pour over the meat.
- Season well and cook for 5-6 hours on low setting or 2-3 hours on high.
- Once cooked you can thicken it with 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water, then heat for a few minutes on high setting.
- Serve with mash and green beans/braised cabbage.